Tuesday 19 November 2013

A Newbie in the House


Hi Everyone. I’ve been invited by the fabulous Lily Harlem to join the girls for some outrageous fun. I thought I’d begin by introducing myself. I’m a Canadian girl, born and raised. I’m a mom, to two grown sons and a teenage daughter. In addition, I’m an author. And anyone that is at all familiar with my work knows I have a love for anything British or Scottish. My mum is from Yorkshire and my great grandfather, on my dad’s side, was from Paisley, Scotland, and I like to incorporate my fondness in my writing, if at all possible. My mother moved to Canada with her family when she was fifteen, determined to move back to England as soon as she was old enough to be on her own. She found employment and worked as a telephone operator, while saving up. In the meantime, she met my daddy, and he convinced her to stay. And the rest, as they say, is history. Someday, I would love to visit the UK. I tease my family that I only need a one-way ticket. The best trip would include my mum, of course, she knows all the best places. She tells me the fish & chips at the Magpie in Whitby are amazing.

I’m still a bit of a new author; still learning and making silly newbie mistakes. They are all quite laughable actually; when common sense escapes me. Although I’ve been writing most of my life, it took me a while to actually believe that my work might be good enough for others to read. Up until a few years ago, I hadn’t shared my work with anyone else, not even my sister, with whom, I share everything. My first novel Swap an erotic contemporary romance, came out in October 2012 but since then things have gone rather quickly for me. November the first, marked my eighth publication If You Can't Stand the Heat. Sometimes, I still pinch myself. Dreams do come true. (And funnily enough, my sister hasn’t read any of my erotic works.) LOL!

My big dilemma is, I don’t like to stick to one genre. In fact my author’s blog is entitled Pick a Genre Already. When I began this journey, I thought that I was strictly an author of historical romance but I soon found a passion for erotic romance. And out of those books, to date, only two are historical. So far, I’ve tackled a couple of different sub-genres in the erotic category. From time-travel to some mild bondage to ménage m/f/f and I also had a go at writing an m/m story. I’m all over the place but I am the same when I read. I’ll read just about anything. If it can hold my attention and imagination, I’m hooked. I love words and ideas and emotion. I like to be swept away to a different time or place, a different way, or lifestyle. To immerse myself in someone else’s angst for a while. I guess I like variety, when I read and when I write.

So far, this has been an unbelievable journey. I have met some incredibly generous and talented people along the way. And even if this writing gig doesn’t work out, I have made friends that I will treasure forever.

So, I’m happy to be here and look forward to interacting with the other Outrageous contributors and you, the faithful readers. I might even have a rant or two up my sleeve.

Take care, All, until next time,

H K



And BTW the beautiful covers above were designed by our own Emmy Ellis/Posh Gosh. Aren't they gorgeous! 

6 comments:

  1. HK so glad that you stopped by and shared your history in not just your writing but also your life. I do hope you get your ticket to the UK one day and if you do we'll set a time and place for a face-to-face natter and a glass or two :-)

    Oh, and Whitby fish and chips, oh yeah baby!

    Lily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HK,

    Great interview!
    I'm glad you published your books because I love them all. And, I had the chance to connect with you. Hopefully one day I will get to meet you in person. I've always wanted to visit Canada ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, thanks so much for stopping. And you know I feel the same. We have some fantastic ice wine here! :D
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Hey H K, welcome to the group!

    Your comment: I’m still a bit of a new author; still learning and making silly newbie mistakes. They are all quite laughable actually; when common sense escapes me. Although I’ve been writing most of my life, it took me a while to actually believe that my work might be good enough for others to read. Up until a few years ago, I hadn’t shared my work with anyone else, not even my sister, with whom, I share everything. - is ME to a tee! Except replace sister with daughter. I called myself a closet writer.But, it's never too late, right? LOL

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tory. Your so right, never too late.
      Thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)

      Delete

Unleash your inner vixen and comment today!