Sunday 30 November 2014

Am I Wrong?

I read a book the other day and there are some things in it that I can't get out of my mind, and not for a good reason either. Though the writing was good, and the plot suspenseful and interesting enough to keep me reading, I made a decision not to read the rest of the books in the series.

If there's one thing I know about writing any kind of romance, you don't kill off the hero. That's a big no no. In this book the heroine was killed off. What made it confusing was that I read the first book in the series, and the woman killed off was actually a  secondary character. But in book two the story is a romance about her and a biker. Well, knowing that she's killed off, who wants to read that story? I have absolutely no interest. 

Then there was a rape scene. The heroine is kidnapped and sodomized, raped and then sliced up. The hero saves her but of course she's traumatized. During the weeks after while she's healing he gets a case of blue balls, so she gives him the go ahead to screw one of his ex-girlfriends because she knows he needs it. What? Within five minutes he's dragging a woman to his room and screwing her, while the heroine is in the next room knowing what he's doing. Later when she brings it up, his weak response is, "you told me to!" 

No! No! No! If he really cared about the heroine he wouldn't buckle under the pressure of being horny. That was a big turn-off for me because I feel once the hero and heroine are committed to each other they remain loyal and faithful. Unless of course they're into group sex or something they do as a couple.

I know biker books are supposed to be raw and gritty and to give the author credit, she did warn at the beginning of the book that she holds nothing back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unleash your inner vixen and comment today!